Religious Education Program for Children and Youth:
The mission of the Religious Education program of Our Lady Help of Christians Catholic Church is to provide our children with the knowledge, experience, and skills necessary to develop and nurture their personal relationship with Jesus Christ. The program encourages the children to learn Catholic doctrine, prayers, scripture stories, traditions and practices in order to acquire a Catholic identity. The program strives to connect the teachings of Christ and the Church with the students’ life experience in living out the Christian life.
Many opportunities are offered to the children and youth of Our Lady Help of Christians:
- Religious Education Classes for Pre-K (4 years old) through 8th grade are offered in three sessions:
- Sundays 9:30 - 11:00 a.m.
- Sundays 11:15 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.
- Mondays 6:45 - 8:15 p.m.
- Sacramental Preparation - Workshops and Retreats are offered to those enrolled in our Sacramental Preparation programs
- First Reconciliation/First Communion
- Opportunities for going beyond the textbook to living the Christian Life:
- Grades K-5 are encouraged to participate in our monthly Faith-in-Action Team Meetings
- Grades 6-8 are encouraged to participate in our monthly Edge Nights
- Grades 9-12 are encouraged to participate in our weekly Life Teen Nights
- Summer activities include, but are not limited to:
- Vacation Bible School
- Steubenville Youth Conferences
- World Youth Day
- Youth Leadership Training
- Service Opportunities
Pre-K (4 years old) through 8th Grade
- Pre-K is open to those children who will have turned 4 years old by September 1.
- Kindergarten is open to those children who will have turned 5 years old by September 1 and are enrolled in Kindergarten in a public, private or homeschool.
- OLHOC Religious Education stresses the importance of the parents as the primary educators of the faith for their children, but we don't leave our parents without the necessary tools to assist them.
- All students in grades 1 - 8 learn Catholic doctrine by working collaboratively with their parents on a weekly online lesson at home. At the end of each lesson, the student's progress is forwarded to the appropriate catechist for review.
- During Religious Education classes,
- grades PreK and Kindergarten lessons flow from the Sunday Gospel, so children learn their faith within the rhythms of the liturgical year.
- grades 1-6 engage in a variety of hands-on, interdisciplinary activities to enhance the concepts being learned in their online lessons at home. They learn the story of Salvation History and how they are part of the story. They hear the story, they explore the faith, and they respond to the message through creativity.
- grades 7-8 engage in preparation for the Sacrament of Confirmation through a 2-year overview of the Catholic faith, using "Decision Point" and "Chosen". They engage in weekly discussions about how the faith applies to their lives as teens who will soon be fully initiated members of the Catholic Church called to live as disciples of Jesus Christ.
- parents and sponsors of Year 2 Confirmation students, are strongly encouraged to participate in our "Chosen" curriculum. By gathering with the other parents, you will have the opportunity to
- form a community of fellow parishioners who are raising teenagers
- strengthen your own knowledge of our faith
- discuss our faith with adult peers
- be better prepared to engage your teen in conversation about our faith.
Religious Education Sessions
Our Sunday sessions are conveniently offered to either precede or follow your family’s worship at Sunday Mass (not to replace it).
Session 1: Sunday 9:30-11:00 AM PreK, Kindergarten, Grades 1 thru 8, & RCIA-AC
Session 2: Sunday 11:15-12:45 PM PreK, Kindergarten & Grades 1 thru 8
Session 3: Monday 6:45-8:15 PM PreK, Kindergarten & Grades 1 – 8
We are limited by room size as to the number of students per class. All of our classes are filled on a first come basis. In order to be enrolled in the session of your choice, early registration is encouraged.
PreK - 8th grade Registration Fees:
- one child, $60
- two children, $90
- three or more children, $120
Sacramental Program Fees:
- First Reconciliation/First Eucharist, $50
- Confirmation Year 1, $50 (retreat, pilgrimage)
- Confirmation Year 2, $100 to cover all sacramental preparation supplies and activities (books, materials, parent/sponsor resources, Lock-In, Spirit Day Retreat, robe, group photo, etc.).
Payment may be made online, in cash, or by check. Please make checks payable to OLHOC with "Religious Education fees" in the memo. No one is ever denied a religious education due to financial hardship. Please contact Therese Thiedeman, to discuss options. All arrangements will be confidential.